Friday, August 22, 2008

Labeling

Recently, Joy and I have been discussing the issue of labeling and the disadvantages that it gives to children. I was starting to say children with disabilities, but to say that would not be accurate because any child can be labeled. Whether it be blondes, people with big noses, people who wear glasses, people of color, people who have a physical or mental disability, etc., labeling has the same effect at every level although we mostly think that only the physically and mentally disabled person are affected.

By labeling, we are limiting the ability of a person. Also, we as authorities over the person (teachers, parents, grandparents, etc.) are subconsciously lowering our expectations of that person, therefore they lower their expectations of themselves and they may never realize their full potential in life.

As I have seen many times in my career as a Therapist and as I have seen this week on the Olympics, the human spirit is an incredible thing that has the ability to take people beyond the limits set for them. One ingredient that we can provide to help them is the love and belief that they are able to do anything they set their mind to.

To end this post, I would like to say thank you to Mrs. Musgrove who attends church with my Mom. Even though I do not know her personally, she took the time to sew John a stuffed teddy bear with his name and birth date written on the feet. It is friends like this who help keep us going on this journey. Sometimes, I think one of the purposes of God blessing us with a Ds child is He wanted to see how much love we had to give.

No comments: