Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Unconditional Love

One thing that I have learned in my life is that we all have the same needs in life and are all searching for the same things in life even though some of us cover our needs better than others. There are for sure plenty of things in this world that are used to cover that need. What am I talking about? I am talking about the unconditional love of somebody whether that be a spouse, a child or God.

Since my wife went back to work and I have had the responsibility of John, I have had a lot of time to deal with his diagnosis. Yes, I am still adjusting to the way things are as this is a daily adjustment for me but that is another post. In my day to day dealings with John and seeing how he responds to me so well, I am enjoying that unconditional love from him as we all do with every child that comes into our life.

But when we consider the unconditional love of a child with Down syndrome, I think it may be a different kind of unconditional love as compared to a "typical" child. The words of Coach Stallings comes to mind. He was the head football coach for the University of Alabama in the Bear Bryant era and was the father of a child with Down syndrome. He said of his child (whose name was Johnnie) that he would come to him and give him a big hug and tell him that he loved him every day of his life. How wonderful is that? Isn't that what we are all looking for? But yet these babies are torn apart by the abortionist at an appalling rate. Coach Stallings' son passed away earlier this year at the age of 46 but yet his father tells the story of how his life along with the life of a whole football team was changed by the unconditional love of this man with Down syndrome.

So when I hold my John and he looks me in the eye and "sings" with me, I am touched by his unconditional love for me. I can feel my heart softening and changing because of his love for me. I can't imagine having this kind of love from him when he is grown and my other kids have grown up and gotten too busy to give Dad much time but I am looking forward to it.

So if you have just had a child with Down syndrome or have just been given the diagnosis, let this be an encouragement to you. The unconditional love that will come your way will change your heart and cause you to see life in a whole new way. Yes, the road is tough - emotionally and physically (my road has been more emotionally demanding and not as long) but if you are looking for a love that is unconditional, then the Lord just gave it to you.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for this! I agree--it is a different kind of love. I feel like I've learned so much already in just six months, so I can't imagine what the following years hold!

Becca said...

Beautifully stated. And a wonderful topic for a blog post. I hope many, many people read this and learn from it. When my daughter was born, all I knew was an overwhelming love and protectiveness. This was my child, my flesh and blood, and I loved her no matter what.

Michelle said...

I was just pointed in your direction. Wonderful blog and beautiful post! So refreshing too...to see a blog written by a dad. God bless.

Michelle said...

thank you for your comment on my blog! Congrats on the birth of your son, John, he's precious! Beautifully written post too!

Anonymous said...

II agree with that our son has esophageal atresia and down syndrome thanks for the great blog.

Jeanette said...

The Lord did indeed show us, through our kids, unconditional love. With the birth of our baby girl, our whole life changed. Not just for my husband and I, but our two boys as well, and those around us. It's amazing how much influence a little one can have. God has truly blessed us!