Tuesday, October 7, 2008

2 Month Check-up

Today John had his 2 month check-up with the Pediatrician. John received a good report on his progress. However, it was pointed out to us that his trunk muscles are not as strong as they should be at this point and that would be an issue for him when he begins to sit. While I agree with this, I am not too alarmed by this as I knew that he would be delayed with this but I do see him making progress. My philosophy with him is as long as he is working forward toward his goals/milestones at a reasonable pace, then I try not to worry too much about his delays. So, we keep plugging away with our plan and our plan is to continue working with him in sitting while giving him plenty of time on his his belly. Even when John is napping, I try to lay him on his belly.

His weight and height measured around the 50th percentile on the growth chart for Down syndrome and the 10th percentile on the growth chart for non-Ds. This is not far off from our other children as they were always on the bottom end of the growth chart. Today he weighed 10lbs 6oz and he is 22 inches long. His birth weight was 7lbs 1oz and he was 19 1/2 inches long so he is growing at a good rate and for that we are thankful.

He also had his 2 month shots today which has made for a cranky little boy so it is baby Tylenol to the rescue. Today he had Prevnar and the combination Dtap/HepB/Polio. Right now, he just wants to be comforted. It's a good thing that Mommy is home today. Dads can provide a lot but when a kid doesn't feel well, there is no place like being in the arms of Mom.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

We went through something similar with Sydney. She was not rolling over, and when she did it was only once. Our ECI therapist was concerned for a while about her progress. We worked with Syd, but took it at her pace. We knew her best and I didn't push too hard. She is doing great, standing up, crawling like the wind and contemplating cruising. He'll get there, try not to worry.

Angela said...

Gotta love the Tylenol!!
Glad he is doing well. I think there are many things we will face as far as development. Benjamin is 5 1/2 months old. It hit me the other night (and I told my husband) that our older son was six months old when he started sitting, crawling, and pulling up on things. SIX MONTHS old. Granted, that's early for a typical baby, but Benjamin's nowhere NEAR that. Especially b/c now he's recovering from his surgery, he seems more like a two or three month old in some areas. It's a lot to resign myself to sometimes, but he really truly is a joy. He's such a sweet baby. As he grows older and gets more of a personality, I'm beginning to see him more than his diagnosis.