Saturday, February 21, 2009

Baby Tarp

As you know, feeding a baby can be pretty messy. That can sometimes delay parents from starting solids. It seems that food gets everywhere except where it is intended which is in the mouth.

I know that when we first introduced John to solids, he didn't have any idea of what to do with it even though he had shown interest by paying attention to our food. I always dreaded feeding him because I knew that it would end up being more work for me in the end.

Well, after 1 1/2 months of him using the spoon, he has gotten somewhat better at it. He now manages to get more in his mouth (and keep it in) than not. Don't get me wrong, I still have a mess to clean up afterwards, but now the mess in confined to his face. And now thanks to a friend of our loaned us some baby bibs to use. Yes, we use bibs but these bibs are the extra large variety. My kids call them baby tarps.




Now when he gets fed, we don't afterwards have a lot of food stains on his clothes. Thanks Julie.
_____________

Now an update on John's fight with sickness. I think I can safely say that his sickness has left him. He has fully regained his appetite for solids which he had lost during his illness. He now would like his solids 3x/day along with his nursing/bottle.

So since he has wanted to increase his eating, we have started working with him on finger foods (cheerios, crackers, biter biscuits, etc.) just so we have more of an option and he has done well with them. At first (about 2 weeks ago), he would just gnaw on them and not really bite them; and now he is able to bite them in two.

So he is making up for lost time and we couldn't be more thankful with the way he is progressing. It has taken a lot of work and commitment from us (sometimes I feel that he is taking all of our energy right now) but I can see that it is paying off.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

So happy to hear that John is feeling better and eating well! Such good news!Love the baby tarp

Linda said...

Oh my goodness. Could he get any cuter? So glad that he's feeling better.

Jeanette said...

So glad that John is feeling better!

Cheryl said...

Glad John is feeling good again.He looks so cute in his baby tarp!

Cathy said...

Hi Jay...thanks for your encouragement on my blog regarding the whole physical therapy thing for Lily. I know from reading your blog that this is one subject that is near and dear to your heart. If you ever have any words of wisdom of things I can try for helping Lily with sitting, drop me a line.

Thanks again! Cathy